Digital store signage is a game-changer for retailers. Visual merchandising has always been key to attracting customers, but constantly changing physical displays is expensive and time-consuming for busy store teams. Retail digital store signage changes all that completely and come with a variety of benefits.
Retail digital store signage draws window shoppers inside, keeping them in-store longer and increase sales while reducing your marketing and promotional costs. This Guide to Retail Digital Store Signage shows you how digital displays can work for any type of retail store including furniture, florists, electronics, sporting goods, bookstores, office supplies, art supplies, homewares, gift stores, fashion, pet supplies, hardware and more. Read on to find out how to easily introduce digital signs into your retail store.
What is retail digital store signage?
In retail settings, digital signs place messages and advertisements onto digital screens, usually TVs. Without such screens, the stores would need posters or plastic signs; or have staff communicate with customers. Digital displays enable retailers to attractively show a wide range of products and tell customers about deals, promotions, other crowd-pulling events and messages in a memorable and engaging manner. They are affordable to set up and maintain, easy to use and extremely effective for drawing in customers, showcasing products and boosting sales.
Signs are an essential part of communication in retailing. They have been used to share product info, to display prices, highlight new products, show product features and draw attention to promotional offers as long as retailing has existed. However, even in this digital age, when most consumers would prefer screens, many retailers are still using posters, physical displays and other means in their stores.
Retail digital store signage is a must for retailers who want to enter the digital age and modernise their store spaces. They help streamline in-store communications, and enable quick and easy updates across multiple screens and even multiple sites across a branch network. They are cost effective because they make design and deployment quick and easy and save many hours of staff time. They are engaging and easy to use and offer a definitive advantage over brand building, because they are superior at drawing customer attention and on customer recall.
Investing in retail digital store signage solutions help you draw in more customers, capture their interest, promote desire to purchase items and engage them in such ways as to make wait times shorter and more entertaining. And let’s not forget the time and money saved on getting done, putting up and removing physical displays. Multiple sources show that your investment in digital store displays translate to increased sales and profits.
Ready to see how retail digital signage might work in your shop?
What are the benefits of digital signs in retail?
Digital store signs are perfect for retail settings. Thousands of stores are installing the every week because they are known to:
- Increase foot traffic by 17%. Eye-catching shop front retail store digital signage works wonders to entice window shoppers through your doors. We’re a screen obsessed society, and passers-by will be naturally drawn to your screens vs a plastic or poster in your window. Retail digital store signage does a much better job of displaying a wide range of your products than a poster or physical display ever could, and in full HD glory, supported by videos and inspirational lifestyle imagery.
- Grow daily sales by 30%. Using digital signs for in-store marketing campaigns can help your sales skyrocket. You can promote clearance sales, seasonal offers, cross-sells and discount bundles. Limited-time deals get a great response because they increase the urgency to buy. Entertaining, well designed digital signs encourage people to stay longer, which further boosts your daily sales.
- Improve profit margins. By using digital signage in retail to highlight promotions of higher margin product lines, you can encourage people to try the more expensive items. Amazingly, 70% of customers say they purchased products because a digital sign caught their eye. Signs in retail settings can act like extra salespeople on the floor–pushing the features of top of the line options persuasively prompting customers into action, driving profit margins higher.
- Offer in-store data analytics. Look for a retail digital store signage solution that offers detailed reporting and analytics. You can test different promotions and content at different times of the day and then match it up with sales data. When you understand what type and style of messaging works best with your customer base, you can update your displays remotely at any time and refine your campaigns on-the-fly to maximise success.
- Save time, money and the environment. Retail stores have a constant influx of new products. Fashion stores change their range with the season, electronics stores have technology updates all the time. Digital signs are much more efficient than always designing, printing, shipping, and installing new signs, posters and displays. You’ll be showing your updated content on one or more screens in just a few clicks.
- Boost customer engagement and enhance customer experience. Studies show retail digital store signage leads to a 33% increase in repeat buyers and a 21% increase in customer satisfaction. By offering better wayfinding, displaying entire catalogues to help customers make their purchase choices, or demonstrating the features of unfamiliar products, digital screens can greatly improve the in-store customer experience.
Retail digital store signage - is it easy to use?
Show owners, managers and staff find digital displays user friendly and cost-effective, especially when you have the support of a great partner with a broad range of digital display solutions that can be tailored for their unique needs.
With Mandoe’s simple drag and drop digital sign builder, literally anyone can create and launch beautiful, impactful retail digital displays. You don’t need any graphic design experience either. Even beginning computer users can get phenomenal results with our intuitive, self-service system and the professionally designed templates and the library of digital resources including videos and images.
With our digital signage software for retail, we will show you how to design, manage and display your own amazing content for your store in four easy steps:
- Choose a template. Select one from among hundreds of beautiful templates built especially for a huge variety of retail settings.
- Change to suit your unique needs. Make the visuals your own by adding your own text, photos, videos or choose elements from our extensive library. We’ve got millions of stock videos, images, graphics and icons you can use at no extra cost.
- Set dates and times. Choose the dates and times for your content display.
- Deploy across screens and networks. Once visuals are ready, you can easily deploy them to one screen or multiple screens within seconds.
5 winning ideas for retail store digital displays
- Advertising: Use your screens as an extension of your digital marketing, online presence and social channels. Use digital signage to announce sales, launch new products or run promotions. Point of sale advertising is also very effective for impulse buys, time sensitive deals, clearance sales and package deals. And if you happen to be out of stock in-store, directing customers to your online store can ensure you get the sale.
- Customer service: Sometimes you can use screens in place of staff as an efficient and cost-effective way of helping customers. They become a digital extension of your customer service team. Instantly sharing information through screens reduces the wait time for customers and increases the productivity of team members. Screens can be used for product demonstrations, to show shoppers where to find products and to connect with customers who actively avoid salespeople. They can also be used to describe and demonstrate product features and usage best practice, especially in video format. .
- Brand building: Strong brands are top-of-mind and trusted, which leads to purchases and repeat purchases. Let your screens tell your brand story to create an emotional connection with your customers. By running engaging videos, you can position the brand for easy recall.
- Social proof: This can be a great way to encourage user-generated content. Running competitions, raffles and other activities encourage people to interact and extend positive word of mouth recommendations through their social networks. Having customer reviews displayed in-store offers social proof and builds trust, making shoppers more inclined to buy. Invite satisfied customers to share their endorsements of your store, products and customer service experience. Using influencers or ambassadors can also be a powerful tool to convince customers to buy.
- Share important safety information and other info: Digital signs are great for reminding shoppers to wear masks (if needed), use hand sanitizer and keep their distance. If you have capacity limits, this can be shared through screens too. In case of emergency, you can quickly share evacuation instructions. Announcing store opening and closing time changes, holiday specials and other information too remain top of mind when seen on a digital display. Learn to make the most of your investment in digital sign technology and software. The above are just a few ways you can promote retail sales and profits. We invite you to explore other ways to optimize the impact of your investment.
See Mandoe Display Solutions in Action
For over a decade, our digital sign solutions have been helping big and small retailers attract customers and grow revenue. Thousands of businesses across the world love and trust Mandoe's digital display solutions.
Swimart – a retail digital store signage success story
Swimart entrusted Mandoe to roll out a digital signage solution across their network of over 70 stores.
“Mandoe has been a pleasure to work with and their digital signage solution has had a positive effect on our business. Franchise owners love them and they’ve helped increase sales and customer engagement. From a personal perspective, having the ability to manage our network of displays from a central location has been a game changer for delivering our overall marketing strategy.” Nathan Hallahan, Marketing Manager, Swimart
What is the cost of an in-store retail digital store signage system?
Digital transformation in retail settings is easier and more affordable than you might think. Retailers who have embraced the technology report that it easily pays for itself.
Prices can vary depending on your location and needs. We invite you to contact our team to see what it would cost for your retail business. But as a rough guide, you are looking at around $35 per month in ongoing costs after your digital display devices are paid for.
Retail digital store signage has a strong return on investment because it leads to more profit and reduces costs at the same time. About 70% of store owners say they’ve made their money back within 18 months.
Studies have shown that when retail stores introduce retail digital store signage solutions, their average sales increase by around 30%. You also have savings from not spending for printing posters and on staff time to update product displays.
Talk to our experienced operations team to get a quote for a tailored package for your retail business.
Retail digital store signage FAQs
We have a range of options available, book a free consult to work out what’s best for your business.
The content creation tool is available online for you to use from wherever you are. Once your visuals are ready, you can deploy to one screen or many in just a few clicks.
Yes. In fact we recommend uploading and using your own content for best effect. But, feel free to make use of the millions of images, videos, icons and more in our library,
Try Mandoe’s instant digital signage builder for free
Want a free trial of Mandoe’s content creation tool? Use your free trial to see just how easy it is for retailers to create beautiful digital displays using drag and drop.
- Create compelling signs for your retail store in minutes. Use our specially designed templates and the huge library of images, videos, icons and graphics.
- Download your videos and share them with the world for free.
- No design experience needed. Use our intuitive drag and drop system and pre-designed templates for your industry and store type.
- No need to enter any payment details. There’s no obligation to buy.
Written by Lachlan Ross
Marketing Manager at Mandoe